Joy has been a very difficult state of being to achieve for me through the years. I have always craved those moments of intense joy – those which superimpose themselves over any worry, sadness, or challenge I might be experiencing at the moment.
Not that long ago I learned that “bringing the joy” had a far higher chance of helping me achieve it than waiting for it to just appear. So, I have been practicing bringing joy into my life.
Joy is a state of being.
Here are some tips to bring it.
- Practice gratitude out loud several times a day. This changes your life! How many times have we heard this to the point of rolling our eyes every time we hear it? But, do we practice it?
- Completely avoid and eliminate talking negatively about other people, yourself, or any situation at work or business.
- Meditate every day even if at least 5 minutes, but I recommend 20 twice a day if you can.
- Be creative. Whether it is decorating your home, cooking, baking, painting, writing, scrapbooking, women can practice new makeup techniques, just find something you can create! This will bring incredible joy.
- Care for your body. This brings amazing joy as well. Exercise, stretch, moisturize your skin, take baths, practice yoga, deep-clean your teeth, put a healthy mask on your hair, get a massage…
- Use aromatherapy.
- Breathe deeply. Learn to breathe slowly and deeply into your belly all day. This oxygenates your blood and releases toxins
- And here is a big one: Do something fun every day. Go to the beach, dance, sing (it doesn’t matter how you sound), watch a comedy, go for a walk in nature, connect with the Holy Spirit. Do whatever is fun for you.
- Sleep 8 hours a night minimum. You entrepreneurs reading this who sleep 5 hours and think you are such a legacy, I got news for you. You are not functioning at your biggest capacity during the day unless you sleep 8 hours. In fact, you are going at 30% less mental capacity. Not sleeping enough hours also makes you grouchy. Sleep.
- Do something awesome for someone else.
- Lastly, if you think you need a serotonin boost, go to a health store and buy 5-HTP. Take 15o mg 3 times a day. This is an amino acid that will regulate your serotonin levels and bring you feelings of well being and positivism while helping you sleep profoundly through the night.
Let me know of ways you bring joy into your own life!